I had the same question in Mind and I did a lot of research, contacted Ledger Support and ended up this posts.
There are more than thousands of altcoins and Ledger has limited resources so it cannot integrate them all.
The conditions to integrate an altcoin are one of the following:
- Massive general support and high market cap (ex: Ethereum)
- Development sponsored by the coin’s community (ex: Litecoin)
- Direct developer integration using Ledger’s SDK
For information, the “altcoin package” costs 59,000 EUR and includes:
- Development of altcoin’s Nano S / Blue app
- Altcoin support added to the Ledger Wallet Chrome app
- Altcoin explorer API development for the back-end
- 1,000 Ledger Nano S unit with altcoin’s logo laser engraving
The following cryptocurrencies are already supported by Ledger Nano S & Ledger Blue:
- Ethereum Classic
- All Ethereum based ERC-20 tokens
And many more to read the whole lists of Altcoins and Token visit here
Hope this helps 🙂